174 km / 108 miles
2406 m / 7892 ft
Event HQ –
Feed Stations –
2 – in Shap and Staverley villages
Your day begins on the Lune cycleway and heads through Halton village before a short, sharp climb to gain the quiet road that heads north and towards The Lakes.
Traffic free lanes lead to a short section of quiet A road through Burton in Kendal and continues over the busy A65 at a roundabout. After a short distance, deserted country lanes are rejoined and followed around the large Cumbrian town of Kendal.
Your route joins and follows the quiet A road that heads gradually up to Shap summit and village, this is rarely busy with traffic and it is a joy to follow it up and up into the remote fells before a tiolet and refreshment stop in Shap village itself.
Country lanes are then ridden from Shap, all the way to Pooley Bridge, and your second refreshment break on the shores of the lake a few KM’s up the road, you will ride the complete North side of Ullswater and through both Glenridding and Patterdale hamlets, before passing Brothers Water to the foot of the infamous Kirkstone Pass – ranked #83 of Britain’s top 100 climbs .
A steady grind will see you though the 20% sections and up to The Kirkstone Inn at 1 481 ft above sea level and then it is downhill all the way to the village of Staveley and your second toilet and refreshment break.
Once through the village – with its loos and feedstation, you will head south on remote lanes through several villages and head across the busy A6 towards the coast at Arnside.
You then turn your back to the coast to head inland and through the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty that we ride most, passing through our home town of Carnforth and back up to the surrounding hillsides. Here you can savour a last view across Morecambe Bay and the distant Cumbrian Fells before dropping back down to event HQ.
Once back you can enjoy a well earned drink and snack before relaxing poolside.
- free secure parking on tarmac
- on site toilets, changing and showers
- entry on event day available (cash only please)
- mechanical support at HQ and en route
- cancellation insurance by – Event Protect
- professional medical cover – by paramedics in a fully equipped ambulance
- qualified remote area 1st aiders en route
- 100% way marked course
- GPX files of each route sent out with event day information e mail in week before the event
- quiet roads and lanes throughout
- British Cycling Public Liability insurance cover
- 2 x well stocked feed stations en route
- friendly marshals and helpers
- riders times published online post event
- free to download event photographs
- broom wagons following the route
- post ride goody bag, snacks and drinks
- complimentary post ride swim, sauna, steam and Jacuzzi
- souvenir event medals available for purchase with online entry